Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs has introduced a Pension and Life Insurance fund scheme called Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana (MGPSY) for the Overseas Indian workers having Emigration Check Required (ECR) passports.
The objective of MGPSY is to encourage and enable the overseas Indian workers by giving government contribution to:
- Save for their Return and Resettlement (R&R)
- Save for their old age,
- Obtain a Life Insurance cover against natural death during the period of coverage.
The government contribution available under the MGPSY is for a period of five years or till the return of subscribed worker back to India, whichever is earlier.
The main attractions of MGPSY are:
- Government contribution of Rs.1,000 per annum in line with Swavalamban platform for all MGPSY subscriber who save between Rs.1,000 and Rs.12,000 per year in NPS-Lite.
- An additional government contribution of Rs.1,000 per annum by MOIA for the overseas Indian women workers who save between Rs.1,000 to Rs.12,000 per year in NPS-Lite.
- A special government contribution of Rs.900 by MOIA towards Return and Resettlement (R&R) of the overseas Indian workers who save Rs.4,000 or more per annum.